7/16/2008

BVBC Classic Century

It was still sprinkling as I got close to Oconomowoc, WI on Saturday morning. The Bay View Bicycle Clubs Lake Country Classic was due to start (for the 100 mile route) at 7:00AM. I pulled into the parking lot of the church that they were using as their start/end location at about 6:30AM. As I parked the car I saw Gloria and Laura, two member of the same bicycle club that I belong to, looking at the sky and trying to decide if they would ride or not. I went inside and picking up my cue sheet/map and the wrist band, and by the time I came back out the rain had stopped. As I was unpacking my gear and the bike a few more members of our club showed up for about 8 of us all together. One snag, somehow I forgot my helmet, but fortunately a local bike shop (Wheel and Sprocket) was on site and sold me one at a reasonable price. Our group pulled out to start the ride at about 7:30. My part of the ride was logged on my Forerunner 305 (posted in the right hand column of this blog). The ride goes through some very pretty country side, know as the Kettle Moraine. The rest stops were well stocked with water, Gatorade, homemade treats and even BW3 wings at one of the stops. Gloria and I pulled into the church at the end of the ride at about 2:30PM, we had passed the other group from our club, who had stopped to help with a flat tire. All in all it was a great day, a little on the cloudy side, but it wasn't cold and the sun did come out occasionally during the course of the ride.

This weekend Waukesha, WI hosts the Carl Zach Cycling Classic (part of the Super Week Pro Tour). Our club, Spring City Spinners, is a sponsor and we'll have a booth near the start/finish line in downtown Waukesha on Saturday, July 19th.

Safe riding all.

No comments: