8/31/2007

Pedal The Kettle is approaching fast

The date for our club fund raiser, Pedal The Kettle, is coming up fast: Sept. 16th. Our club uses this event to raise funds which, we in turn use to promote safe cycling and to contribute to local charities.

As the webmaster for the club I was playing around with Google maps to make a sort of promotional map for the club website and created the following;


View Larger Map

Initially I used Google maps to determine approximately a 3 hour travel time from Waukesha, WI to several major cities within a 4 state area (WI, MN, IA & IL). Then I used the custom My Maps feature to draw the highlighted area and add the push-pin for the start location. I was really glad to see how easy Google has made it to publish a custom map within a blog or website. All you have to do, once you have a map created, is click on the "Link to this page" and you'll get an option to customize and preview the embedded map. From there it's basically a cut and paste of some code embedded in an iframe.

If you happen to participate in the PTK, stop by and say hi, I'll be working at the very first rest stop of the 65/100 miles routes.

Safe riding all.

No comments: