6/25/2009

Horribly Hilly 100K - badge of honor

The heat that day got the better of me, so I scaled back from the 200K option to 100K. Here's my souvenir "badge of honor" from the event, on my trusty Camelbak (couldn't have gone as far as I did without that either).

Early in the ride I was fine, making it up the three major hills (Mounds Rd, Scherbel Rd and Barlow Rd. The first rest stop was a little tricky though, because just as we got there, rain from the previous day/night had weakened a tree which fell onto a power line along the climb to the Festge Park rest stop. I navigated around that, with many other rides, only to discover that the power lines that were down had also taken out the electric water pump at the rest stop, so we had to wait for water.

Maybe I waited around at the rest stop to long, but after climbing the hill on Barlow Rd, I started cramping. So when the option to split between the 100K and 200K presented itself I opt'ed for the 100K.

It was a great event and it was very well supported. Several members of our club, Spring City Spinners, participated in the event and it was great to see them having 'fun' as well.

I'm not sure what my next event will be, maybe just a nice relatively flat Century Ride.

Safe riding all.

No comments: